In an effort to understand the SEA startup funding ecosystem in 2016, I crunched though some data today and below are two slides of my findings:
Where the money comes from:
- Most active investors in 2016 are still mostly non-SEA based fund
- Increase in number of early stage funding in B2C FinTech solutions and AI/ML startups
- Decrease in number of marketplace platforms — more of new players are serving niche market.
Where the money goes to:
- Singapore houses the 6 out of 8 most well-funded SEA-based startup
- 2016 is a year of growth funding — 80% of the 2016 SEA funding went to 8 startups
- On-demand transportation services, Grab and GO-JEK, dwarfed the market with their disproportionate mega rounds
That’s the glimpse! Still in the process of curating the content for quantitative market insights and trends with data from 2013 to 2016, they will be up soon!
[Again, please feel free to comment and feedback]
FYI, this post was originally from my Medium.